Campus building and housing concerns

The following resources are available to anyone who needs them, including staff, faculty, and other academic appointees, postdocs, and students.

Facilities concerns

Facilities concerns in campus buildings include: 

  • Maintenance requests
  • Building systems or utility shutdowns
  • Lost keys, help with electronic access to buildings

To get help for facilities concerns, please use the Facilities Customer Service Center website

UC Berkeley housing concerns

Maintenance concerns: You can find information about cleaning and maintenance in UC Berkeley residence halls on the Housing website, including how to submit a non-emergency maintenance request. Maintenance is included in your housing contract. When you need something repaired, submit a work order or Maintenance Request (log in with your CalNet ID).

Safety and doors propped open: Berkeley Housing provides safety information for residents. If doors to residence halls are propped open and a person who doesn't seem to be a resident or guest is in the building, please notify an RA-on-duty, on-site security staff, or contact UCPD by calling them at (510) 642-3333 from a cell phone on or near campus. Otherwise, dial 911. Residential Life provides more information about safety and theft prevention in residence halls.

Lost keys: If you live in UC Berkeley housing and have lost your keys or your key isn’t functioning properly, please contact your unit front desk as soon as possible.