Hazing (students)

Experiencing or witnessing hazing can be difficult and distressing. Please know there are resources and reporting options available to you.


Hazing is defined in the PACAOS 100.00 Policy On Student Conduct And Discipline as "participation in hazing or any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a campus organization or other activity engaged in by the organization or members of the organization at any time that causes, or is likely to cause, physical injury or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in psychological harm to any student or other person." 


Resource available for all

Center for Student Conduct

Anyone can report hazing to UC Berkeley, you can submit an online incident report to the Center for Student Conduct.

Hazing is not permitted at UC Berkeley. The Dean of Students Hazing website provides a information about reporting hazing, supporting affected students, and more. 

Resource available for all

University of California Police Department (UCPD)

If you need emergency support related to a threat of harm (including situations in which a person is an imminent risk of harm to themselves or others), please call 911.

To report to local law enforcement, you may make a report to UCPD by calling the non-emergency line, (510) 642-6760.

Student resources

Resource for students

Hazing Prevention Collaborative

The Hazing Prevention Collaborative is a multidisciplinary group of students and staff who have come together to reduce and prevent hazing in the UC Berkeley community.

Resource for students

Organization Advising & Student Involvement Services (OASIS)

OASIS staff advises individuals, student organizations, student government, and various other campus communities.

Resource for students

Ombuds Office for Students & Postdoctoral Appointees

The Ombuds Office for Students & Postdoctoral Appointees (confidential) can offer assistance sorting through a campus-related conflict or concern, including how to report and address hazing.

Resource for students

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

UHS Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) (confidential) provides services to support the emotional, psychological, educational, social and cultural development of all UC Berkeley students.

Related topics